Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Ultimate Bake-Off

Cue the Rocky music, cue the movie voice-over guy...this is the 'Ultimate Bake-Off'. It's a clash of the titans, Mary Berry versus Paul Hollywood.
This month Delicious magazine has challenged these two star bakers to submit their ultimate cake recipe, readers must then make both cakes and host a tasting session. We have Mary's very best chocolate and orange cake versus Paul's ultimate carrot cake.
Once taste tested the results will be reported back to Delicious magazine to help determine the winner of the 'Ultimate Bake-Off' and the nation's favourite cake!

First up is Mary's chocolate cake. This was made using the all-in-one method and the chocolately taste comes from cocoa powder. The orange mentioned in the title comes from the zest of one orange. The cooked sponges were then brushed with apricot jam before spreading over the ganache, made as specified using Bourneville! Finally, for the curls on top, melted chocolate was spread on a baking tray and cooled, before being scraped off with a sharp knife... I wouldn't recommend using your best baking sheet for this!! :-o

Next up, Paul's carrot cake cake made with sunflower oil, copious amounts of carrots and light brown muscavado sugar. It also has halved pecans in it. This was easy to make, just mix it all in! The frosting is cream cheese frosting with a little butter, cream cheese and icing sugar, as well as 2 teaspoons of orange juice. It was then piped on the top in an unusual line pattern, before sprinkling with strips of orange zest. 

Both cakes were easy to make and they look delicious but there can only be one winner!

If you'd like to join in then please leave a comment and let me know which cake you would choose and why and I'll take your opinion into account when deciding on the ultimate cake! Why not vote in my current poll too on the top right of this page.

Once the cakes have been tasted I'll post the results!

10 comments:

  1. ooh the ultimate bake off indeed! I was wondering why there were tweets asking if you prefer chocolate or carrot. If you send me a slice, I'll help you decide ;) Both cakes look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go carrot every time! It's not that I don't like chocolate, but when there's carrot as an option there's no contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I'd have to say the chocolate cake! (although i don't think I'm a fair judge - i hate carrot cake!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could be the tester here :D Yum!! Go Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo..both cakes looks absolutely divine. I have to admit that I'm biased when it comes to chocolate. The more chocolate the better..so I guess you know which one I'm gonna fall for..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your votes...the taste testers have been at work today but still more opinions to come in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be the carrot - chocolate would normally get my vote, but not when it's been polluted with orange!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura! I have a surprise for you on my blog. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment.

    Both cakes looks wonderful but carrot cake is a big favourite of mine!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder who will be the winner? By the personal preference, I think chocolate cake is always a winner... Sorry, carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!