Friday, October 7, 2011

Jo wins the Great British Bake Off

Following the final of the Great British Bake Off this week, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my Tuesday evenings. It was a great series for all budding bakers out there as it provides inspiration and fresh ideas... even Chris Evans is a fan! In the end mum of three Jo was a worthy winner. Along with finalists Mary Ann and Holly she produced Mille Feuille and a Sacher Torte but it was Jo's final trio of street party petits-fours that won the day. She produced mini Victoria sponges, Banoffee tartlets as well as raspberry and pistachio meringues...it just goes to show that simplicity sometimes is the best option. So despite eight weeks of largely impressive baking, the precision of Holly and experimentations of Mary-Anne were not enough to surpass Jo in the Great British Bake Off Final.
I've just treated myself to the accompanying Great British Bake off recipe book and there really are some lovely recipes, it includes the best recipes from the contestants, some baking classics as well as all the technical challenges. So in true Julie and Julia style I've decided to tackle the seven technical challenges...I'm aiming for one a month for the next seven months and I'll post the results here for you to see...good or bad! I may even attempt the croquembouche and even if it ends in disaster I can console myself with the fact that Jo's did too! Wish me luck.

If you fancy having a go yourself you can now apply for Series 3 of the Great British Bake Off which will be filming from March to May next year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated!